Like most parents who are new to sending their children to ballet school classes in Greenville, you probably have a lot of questions about what to expect.
Safety, expertise and methodology may be your first concern, but there are other points to consider when signing up your child for dance classes in Greenville, SC (or anywhere for that matter).
While we’d like to toot our own horn, we are part of a large dance scene growing in the Carolinas and there are many opportunities for children to find good instruction. Keep in mind that not all children are ready for the discipline and structure that goes into dance instruction, so consider these factors when choosing ballet school classes in Greenville, SC.
Best dance classes in Greenville checklist:
- Professional Setting – A professional setting will have multiple studios, private changing areas and be clean. The setting should inspire discipline and organization for children to learn respect for what they are doing.
- Comfort for Parents – Most parents will inevitably find themselves waiting or watching their children take classes, so look to see there is a waiting area (with WiFi access!) and adequate parking. The dance studio should also be in a convenient location.
- Safe Floors – A cushioned floor appropriate to the type of dance your child is learning will help prevent injuries while providing resistance. Dance floors should be specifically designed to the purpose of the dance style being taught.
- Professional Instructors – Ask the studio about the teachers, their education and their dance experience. Go beyond looking at the facilities and ask to see the bios and resumes of those who will be teaching your children. The five characteristics of a good instructor:
- Organized Tours – It’s not enough to have a phone call with a dance school when deciding whether to send your child there. Ask for a tour during classes and go see for yourself how the dance studio is being run. Ask questions and watch the instructors perform. The proof is in the pudding!
- Focus on Work & Fun – Fun is a result of good dance school instruction and a professional facility which builds a long-term appreciation for dance. While some dance studios focus on entertaining your child, the best dance studios in Greenville are concerned with teaching your child to appreciate and enjoy dance through hard work and discipline.
- Appropriate Class Sizes – It’s crucial that your child receive the level of attention he or she needs in order to grow as a student. Despite what you might think, one-on-one instruction is not always best and a classroom scenario allows students to blend into the discipline while being called out with corrections by the instructor. However, you also don’t want your child getting lost in classes that are too large. Large studios and experienced teachers can handle more children, small rooms or rookie teachers may necessitate smaller classes.
- Access to Other Dance Disciplines – While most dancers start with ballet, jazz or other types of dance classes, the dance school should be diverse in its ability to teach multiple art forms in structured classes. Ask for schedules and what other types of dance are offered.
For more information on choosing a dance studio in Greenville, SC:
- Choosing a dance studio by Treva Bendinghaus
- Dance injuries from the ballet dancer’s point of view by Gelsey Kirkland et. al
- Advice for Dancers by Misty Copeland